Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Serious As a Heart Attack

Wednesday has become my go to day for the long workout.  My wife works later in the evening so I go after work and get down to business.  I usually put in between 75 to 90 minutes.  So I have to plan ahead and make sure I've got the old Under Pressure play list loaded with something both longer and awesomer to keep me motivated.  Last week it was the great one/two punch of Rubber Soul and Revolver.  One day a few months ago I wasn't feeling really up to putting in that much time so I went with Quadrophenia.  Needless to say, it did the trick.  I ended up finishing the album and re-listening to the first side again.

Today I decided to go with Double Nickels on the Dime by the great Minutemen.  I first heard this album fifteen years ago and it still amazes me how wonderful and unique it is.  Seriously, name me another album like it.  At first it all sounds like a blur.  Before you start to process what is going on in a certain song, you realize it was over two songs ago and it is impossible to catch up.  It probably took five years to sort out the damn thing.  But when it starts to sink in you realize what a great album it is. 

While I am a fan of all of their work (and I'll add fIREHOSE and Watt's solo stuff here too), I don't think they ever topped this.  I am not sure where one would even start to attempt to.  There are too many classics here to name.  Their playing is tight.  Hell, the thing just sounds great.  It is just a magical document of one of the most original and interesting bands at their absolute peak.

So I knocked it out with a great album and now plan to spend the night in the Rock Room watching my beloved Dayton Flyers take on Alabama.  I like Alabama because their coach is Anthony Grant, a former Flyer that my brother and I loved when he played in the late 80's.  I don't expect great things tonight.  Maybe partying will help?  That is why I bought a 12 pack and plan on continuing The Great Spotify Adventure in the Rock Room.  Results to follow tomorrow if I wake up in time.

No comments: