Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wednesday Afternoon Playlist

Safe As Milk-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
River Song-Dennis Wilson
Mournin' Glory Story-Harry Nilsson
Every Night-Paul McCartney
Afraid-Nico
Waitin' 'Round To Die-Townes Van Zandt
American Crucifixion Resurrection-The 4 Seasons
Perfectly Lethal-The Replacements
Absolutely Sweet Marie-Bob Dylan
5D (Fifth Dimension)-The Byrds
Song to the Siren-Tim Buckley
Widow's Walk-Van Dyke Parks
Afternoon Tea-The Kinks
God Knows I'm Good-David Bowie
Diamond Meadows-T.Rex
Baron Saturday-The Pretty Things

I wish I could blame my lack of posts recently on the wind storm that knocked out power all over town. But, we didn't lose power at all. It seems I have just been too lazy to write any new posts. I blame this on football. I did make a mixtape on Sunday that is pretty great. It's called 34 Gems. I'll write more about this after I have absorbed it a little more, but I do think that this might be my best mix in a while.

One of my favorite activities, and one that gives me the opportunity to listen to a lot of music, is my constitutionals. Roughly a year ago, I started walking about five miles a day. Since then, I have logged over 1,200 miles. In fact, I was out walking last Sunday when the wind storm that knocked out most the power in town started. I have not been able to go since Sunday because the trails that I frequent are closed until they can clear all the debris. Needless to say, I am getting antsy to get back out, especially since the weather has been so beautiful in the aftermath of the storm.

So, to help fight my antsy feeling, I created the above play list. A lot of the songs are from the most recent albums that I have purchased, though some are older songs from iTunes that I haven't listened to in a while. I think the play list flows remarkably well. I really like the Harry Nilsson/Paul McCartney/Nico/Townes Van Zandt combination. The list also has the song from which I named this blog, a great unreleased track from the re-issue of one of my all time favorite albums The Replacements Let It Be. I originally bought the album right after Christmas my junior year in high school with a gift certificate to Best Buy that my Grandma got me. Thanks Grandma, though I am not sure she would have approved of an album that had a song called "Gary's Got a Boner."

Another highlight of this one is the inclusion of "Song to the Siren" by Tim Buckley, a song I have been going back to again and again lately. I love this song. It's from his album Starsailor, a strange album that I got a couple of months back. The album is definately not what I was expecting from an artist I thought was primarily a singer/songwriter. The songs are jazz influenced and slightly experimental in nature. It's an interesting listen.

No comments: