Friday, September 5, 2008

August 24-New York City to Atlanta to Dayton

A Song For Jeffrey-Jethro Tull

Changes (Mono)-The Zombies

Stealing Stealing-The Yardbirds

Revolution 1-The Beatles

Wealth And Hell-Being-Robert Pollard

Seein' Her-Paul Westerberg

Meet Me In The Meadow-Paul Westerberg

$100 Groom-Paul Westerberg

Crippled Inside-John Lennon

Sunrise-Arthur Brown & Kingdom Come

Isolation-John Lennon

It's Raining Today-Scott Walker

Punky's Dilemma-Simon & Garfunkel

Taking Tiger Mountain-Brian Eno

Disguises-The Who

The Other Man's Grass Is Always Greener-Petula Clark

Soap Shop Rock a)Burning Sister-Amon Duul II

In the Beginning-Genesis

Naked Man-Keith Moon

What Am I Doin' Hangin' 'Round?-The Monkees

This Girl's In Love With You-Petula Clark

Heinz Baked Beans-The Who

A Tramp Shining-Richard Harris

So Long Dad-Harry Nilsson

Ram On-Paul & Linda McCartney

Working Class Hero-John Lennon

Hair Pie: Bake 1-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band

Maybe I'm Amazed-Paul McCartney

Come Together-The Beatles

There She Goes Again-The Velvet Underground


We had a couple of hours to kill at LaGuardia Airport before we started the process of flying home. This is the play list from the airport. I decided to go ahead and continue with the shuffle for the last part of the trip. The shuffle had been pretty enjoyable up to this point, plus, I was tired and didn’t feel like bothering to find an album to listen to. You may think that is a painless endeavor, but I have spent way too many hours of my life making these decisions. My wife can back me up on this.


One thing that I haven’t mentioned is that I did not skip any songs while on this trip. I do this a lot when I am walking or in the car, but I decided at the beginning to just let it play. I am actually glad that I followed through with this. I must admit, though, when the third straight Westerberg song came up early in this list, I had serious temptations to skip to the next song. “$100 Groom” is not among Paul’s best achievements, but I stayed with it. It is a funny song to listen to on your honeymoon, I guess. I am just glad that the events of this song differ from our actual wedding.


Much like the rest of the week, there was a healthy dose of Beatles and post Beatles solo work on this list. I would definitely call myself an unapologetic Beatlemaniac. I do not think they are overrated in any way. Sure, I’ve heard the songs four million times, and there are times I do not want to hear another one of their songs for a very long time. I just put the albums back on the shelf (or, these days, take them off the iPod) and go back to them when I am ready. I do this with most of my favorite artists. I just happen to be in the middle of another one of my quarterly Beatles phases, which explains the abundance this week.


Another highlight of this list was the appearance of Brian Eno’s “Taking Tiger Mountain” from the album of the same name. When I first heard this song I listened to it, along with his song “Here Come the Warm Jets,” on repeat for about a month. They seemed like two sides of a perfect, long lost single. The song is minimal, coasting on an unbelievable guitar tone and atmospheric vocals. I always thought the song was perfect for a second act scene in a Wes Anderson movie. Maybe someday.


There is also a bonus cut from Keith Moon’s solo album Two Sides of the Moon. The album is bizarre, as it features Keith Moon crooning a bunch of covers, including “The Kids Are Alright” by the Who. The song “Naked Man” is actually a Randy Newman song. This is funny because, around the same time I bought the Moon album, I also bought Nilsson Sings Newman. This is the great album in which Harry Nilsson covers Randy Newman. To make things even more confusing, while in New York, I bought the Van Dyke Parks album Song Cycle, which contains “Vine Street,” a Newman song that is also on Nilsson Sings Newman. Confused yet? Perhaps my conscience is trying to tell me something. I think I will go listen to Sail Away now.


I Dig Love-George Harrison

Sidewalk Song (27th Street)-Johnny Rivers

All The Grinning Women-Clouds Forming Crowns

Teenage Head-The Flamin’ Groovies

Vega-Tables-Brian Wilson

Spanish Tide-Familyh

Waiting For My Man-The Velvet Underground

Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey-The Bealtles

Getting Better-The Beatles

Love You In The Fall-Paul Westerberg

Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand-The Who

Down by the Sea-The Strawbs

Ant Man Bee-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band

What Kind Of Fool Am I?-Grandpaboy

Valentine Day-Paul McCartney

Solsbury Hill-Peter Gabriel

Taking Me Home-Sleater-Kinney

Sunrise-The Who

Don't Fall Down-The 13th Floor Elevators

You Tore Me Down-The Flamin’ Groovies

Bad Worker-The Replacements

Nowhere Man-Paul Westerberg

Arthur Comics-The Stalk-Forrest Group

Got You Down-Paul Westerberg

Tunesmith-Johnny Rivers

Because She's In NYC-Electroshock Marigold

Miracle Cure-The Who

River Deep, Mountain High-The Flamin’ Groovies

Here I Go-Syd Barrett

Effervescing Elephant-Syd Barrett


More Westerberg, Beatles, and two Barret songs to end it. Going to the absurd, there is even a song where Westerberg covers The Beatles. This list is a fitting end to say the least. I listened to this on the plane from New York to Atlanta. When we got to Atlanta, we ate very quickly and boarded our next plane. I didn’t get the iPod out for the rest of the trip because I was able to fall asleep for most of the last plane ride. I would not listen to my iPod again for about a week due to my sudden case of strep throat. It is a very rare occurrence for my iPod to sit for a whole week.


Besides the usual suspects in this last play list, a couple of cool songs of note did pop up. There were three tracks for The Flamin’ Groovies, including the rocking “Teenage Head.” There was also a cut from my most recent purchase, “Arthur Comics” by The Stalk-Forrest Group. I had never heard of the The Stalk-Forrest Group before, but a little digging revealed them to be an early version of Blue Oyster Cult. Being a big fan of that band (much to my wife’s dismay), I checked out the earlier band. It’s a pretty cool album. You can hear some of signature BOC sound forming, but I was surprised by the touches of the Stones that I heard in places. The first couple of times I heard “What Is Quicksand,” the beginning made me think my iPod had switched to a Stones song.


This last day did not match up to the magic of the list the day before, but it was a solid list in it’s own right. Overall, I would say that the shuffle experiment was successful. Though some artists got more than their share of play, I still think there was a nice mix of different groups. I am also surprised that I was able to stay with it the entire time, but I think that had to do with my state of mind more than anything else. Vacation will do that to you.


No comments: