Wednesday, September 3, 2008

August 22-New York City

Afternoon Tea-The Kinks
Leif Erikson Visits Montreal In the Spring (And Slowly Goes Insane)-Wake Up Mordecai
Serenade To A Cuckoo-Jethro Tull
Eat At Home-Paul & Linda McCartney
Absolutely Sweet Marie-Bob Dylan
You'd Better Come Home-Petula Clark
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow-Brian Wilson
Gigolo Aunt-Syd Barrett
Terrapin-Syd Barrett
You're Getting Married (Solo Home Demo)-The Replacements
Yeti (Improvisation)-Amon Düül II
Oh Baby (Studio Demo)-The Replacements
Mother Nature's Son-Harry Nilsson

This list seems pretty short, but in actuality, there is over an hour of material here. What is the reason for so few songs? All 18:12 of “Yeti (Improvisation).” I discussed Yeti earlier, and to this point had only run across the more standard songs from that album. Today I hit the flipside, getting all 18 minutes of this Krautrock beast. Distorted guitars cry, organs fade in and out of the picture, frantic drumming and bass lines come and go. For the uninitiated, this can be a difficult listen. But, much like their peers Can and Neu!, the patient listener is rewarded with a great listen. As the song progresses, it latches onto your consciousness, and before you know it, you’re along for one fantastic ride.


It’s a ride I wasn’t always willing to take. There was no way I would have had the patience for anything this long when I was younger. It might have been the by product of listening to Alien Lanes 4,000 times in a row, but I think it just comes from not being exposed to a very wide variety of music. I’ve broadened my tastes over time, seeing albums and songs as part of the larger puzzle. I try to stay open-minded and challenge myself to try new things because, though these things may be alien at first, they often reveal themselves as mind-blowing music. I think it would be a crime now if I hadn’t listened to “Supper’s Ready” or “Sister Ray” because I didn’t have the attention span. It has been a lesson well learned.


The rest of the list was pretty standard for the week. More Westerberg. Back to back Barrett songs. One cool discovery was the introduction to Petula Clark’s “You’d Better Come Home.” I am fairly new to the Petula Clark universe, only really knowing “Downtown” until recently. This song is really great; I’ll have to make it a point to listen to what else I have by her.

No comments: