Tuesday, September 2, 2008

August 21-New York City

Wind Chimes-Brian Wilson
Close The Window-Clouds Forming Crowns
Taxman-The Beatles
Runaway Wind-Paul Westerberg
Soap Shop Rock c)Gulp a Sonata-Amon Düül II
She Said She Said-The Beatles
In Hiding-Genesis
My Generation/Land of Hope and Glory-The Who
The Blimp (Mousetrapreplica)-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Healing Festival-Tim Buckley
Lookin' Out Forever-Paul Westerberg
Situation Vacant-The Kinks
Tribal Gathering-The Byrds
Tried to Hide-The 13th Floor Elevators
Interstellar Overdrive-Pink Floyd
Tommy Can You Hear Me?-The Who
Made To Make You Dream-Clouds Forming Crowns
Downtown-Petula Clark
Vampires & Failures-Grandpaboy
Batman-The Who
When You Dance You Can Really Love-Neil Young
Our House-Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Oh My Love-John Lennon
Am I Very Wrong-Genesis
Archangel Thunderbird-Amon Düül II
Bad Boy-The Beatles
Yeti Talks to Yogi (Improvisation)-Amon Düül II
Eye Shaking King-Amon Düül II
Almost Bleeding-Clouds Forming Crowns
(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock (Outtake)-The Replacements

Three out of four songs towards the end of this list are Amon Duul II. All of these songs come from their 1970 album Yeti, a very cool double album. It is kind of jarring to go from The Who, Neil Young, and early Genesis right into three cuts from Yeti. It actually wasn’t that strange of a transition, as the three songs played all represent the more straightforward side of this band. You see, the first disc of Yeti is a more song-oriented disc, while the second disc is completely improvised. It’s a great album though, and I am actually glad that it played a couple of the songs in a bunch.


Also, all three of Paul Westerberg’s guises are represented here (The Replacements, Grandpaboy, and Paul Westerberg, naturally) and my iPod showed its awareness of current events by playing “Batman.” There are also three Clouds Forming Crowns songs, which I always enjoy. CFC is a band from Cleveland made up of Tim and Todd Tobias. I am a huge fan of Tim Tobias’ guitar playing. The track “Floating” from Race To the Blackout has one of my favorite guitar breaks in recent memory. Every time I hear it I get goose bumps. Not bad from a guy who is best known for being a bass player. That is criminal in my mind!


Speaking of guitar playing, does it get any better than “Interstellar Overdrive?” I know I talked up Syd Barrett a bunch yesterday, so all I’ll say today is that I’ve probably heard this song hundreds of times now, yet it never ceases to amaze me.

No comments: