Thursday, September 4, 2008

August 23-New York City

Hobo Chang Ba-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
One Eyed Hound-Genesis
Paranoid-Black Sabbath
Cripple Creek Ferry-Neil Young
Well-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Doctor Robert-The Beatles
Christmas Song-Jethro Tull
Gentle on My Mind-Glen Campbell
Disney Girls (1957)-The Beach Boys
New York Mining Disaster 1941-Bee Gees
Old Brown Shoe-The Beatles
The Tracks of My Tears-Johnny Rivers
You're Gonna Miss Me (Live)-The 13th Floor Elevators

Today’s list was pretty typical at the start. I liked Beefheart, Black Sabbath, and Jethro Tull all popping up. I will admit to being kind of annoyed by the fact that it played my least favorite songs off two of my favorite albums off all time. “Doctor Robert,” though having my name in the title, is my least favorite track off of Revolver. Here, separated from the other great songs from the album, it isn’t so bad. The same cannot be said for “Cripple Creek Ferry.” I don’t particularly hate the song, but it may be the best example of filler you can find.

The list really takes off with the Glen Campbell song. I really love “Gentle on My Mind,” and “Disney Girls (1957),” a sweet Bruce Johnston penned song from Surf’s Up, is a perfect follow up. As the guitar strumming starts on “New York Mining Disaster 1941,” I realize that the shuffle is really on a roll. This perfect song comes from the Bee Gees first album, an incredible slice of pop music that I really cannot get enough of. Any fan of 1960’s pop would be well off to hunt down this album.

An overlooked (at least by me) George Harrison single “Old Brown Shoe” keeps things rolling. The next song is a very familiar song, though not necessary this version. It’s Johnny Rivers covering the Smokey Robinson & the Miracles classic “The Tracks of My Tears.” This version can be found on Rivers’ album Rewind. It’s not a bad cover, but I find the Jimmy Webb songs from Rewind to be the real highlights of that album. Nonetheless, this cover fits pretty well along side the other great songs on this list.

The list ends with a live version of the 13th Floor Elevators classic “You’re Gonna Miss Me.” This bonus track from their self-titled album is a lively take, and perfect end to the list for the day. I would say the stretch I’ve outlined is a prime example of how the shuffle mode can be a very good thing. I don’t think I could have programmed a better list myself. It’s like bringing out all of the good qualities of a good radio station, one that unfortunately no longer exists, at least on the radio dial.

No comments: