Saturday, April 4, 2009

To the Path!

My wife and I got up and going today and actually got a lot accomplished. By noon, we had gotten all of our errands run and even got to eat at the legendary donut place Jim's Donuts. Feeling in an overall good mood after accomplishing so much, I decided do a reboot on my iPod.

Since it is April, the weather is nice, and daylight is extending further and further into the evening, this is usually about the time I recommit every year to getting into shape. This year is going to be a little more difficult because I did not make much effort at getting out this past winter. Add that to the extra drinking weight from this past basketball season (we had a lot to celebrate in Dayton this year!) and I have some work ahead of me at getting back in shape.

To help kick this into action I took off much of what was currently on my iPod and added the music that has helped me get back in the swing of things in the past: Jazz and Krautrock. I am not sure why this always works, but I have a suspicion that long instrumental passages helps make the time I spend out walking not seem as long. That, or I just associate this kind of music with being out of shape and walking up hills that almost kill me. Either way, it seems to work.

So today, armed with Neu! '75 and Genius Of Modern Music Volume One (by Neu! and Thelonious Monk, respectively) I got off to a good five mile start. I am a little sore right now, but I feel pretty good. I am actually looking forward for tomorrow's hike. I wonder what the odds that I'll be listening to John Coltrane's Ascension?

No comments: