Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Baba O'Riley

It seems ridiculous to even attempt to write about this song. Just seeing the two words in a row should make you nod your head and agree that it is probably the best song ever written. Sometimes I tire of it, but then, I will hear it. Simply put, every time this happens, everything in the world stops and I am totally in tune with it. There are no better five minutes in the history of recorded music.

But how did it come to this point? How does a song earn its automatic "Best Song Ever" tag? Only a time line could answer this question.

-As a young teen, "Even Flow" is played on both the local radio station and MTV on the hour, making my brother and me huge Pearl Jam fans. As my brother loves to point out (as he did this past weekend) that he was the bigger fan at the time. Being in the infant stages of record geekdom, this did not last long.

-A couple years down the line, I have become a huge Pearl Jam fan to the point that I am buying bootlegged material for insane prices at the local record store. One such recording contains a live cover of "Baba O'Riley." I am officially introduced.

-My dad, having no doubt heard the song blaring from my stereo speakers for months, gives me Who's Next for Christmas. The album quickly becomes my favorite record of all time.

-I devour everything I can get my hands on by The Who, making them one of my favorite bands.

-I see Pearl Jam in Cleveland on the Yield tour. Eddie Vedder points to my friend's Quadrophenia shirt and they play "Baba." It was the highlight of my year.

-Many, many, many magical nights end with my friends and I standing on tables singing "We're all wasted!" at the top of our lungs.

-Guided By Voices puts "Baba O'Riley" into their setlist, where it stays for many years. Over the next couple of years they out Who The Who with spirited renditions.


-I go with my dad to see The Who on tour. 20,000 fans scream along to the song. Pete fuckin' owns.

-Bringing things full circle, I get the Deluxe Edition of Who's Next for my dad for Father's Day. I tell him how much that one purchase means to me. It felt so wonderful to return the favor.

-And to start the loop again, I see Pearl Jam invite Bob Pollard on stage at US Bank Arena. The song? BABA O'RILEY.

Yeah, best song ever. I'm going to go listen to it now. You probably already have started.

No comments: