Wednesday, April 14, 2010

30 Century Man

So I realized that there is no use in having a blog if you don't really write anything. I am going to try to make more of an effort (again?) to put this space to use. As I recently wrote about my experience of drinking and listening to a ton of great songs, I thought I might as well just write about some of the songs. What a novel idea!

"30 Century Man" is a song by the wonderful Scott Walker off his album Scott 3. It is the first Scott Walker song I ever heard. It was featured in the movie (and soundtrack) The Life Aquatic, a movie I love. I really like the song so I decided to check out some of his other stuff. Scott 3 was the first album I tracked down, finding it at Gem City Records one very cold January night. I was hooked very quickly shortly thereafter and began tracking down everything I could find by Mr. Walker. I remember talking about his brilliance for a solid two months to anyone who would listen.

The song is not very representative of Scott's other solo work. It is a short acoustic song that name checks Charles de Gaulle. It sticks out like a sore thumb on both the album and the rest of his work. Needless to say, I wasn't really prepared for the darker tones of his music. I remember listening to Scott 3 as we drove home and being both confused and in wonder of the great music we were listening to the first time. I remain a huge fan.

Wes Anderson movies have been gold mines for older songs that I had not heard and now love. I am sure he will be mentioned a few more times as I write about these songs.


No comments: